Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Day 18 Rahab



A prostitute is commended in the bible.  A woman, who sold herself for money, used men for monetary gain or succumbed to prostitution to survive and feed her family is described as righteous, courageous, faithful and hospitable to God’s chosen.  God will use anyone who seeks his face, his truth and believes in his almighty power.  A harlot was used to save God’s elect.
 “In preparation for the invasion, Joshua the son of Nun sent out two spies from Acacia Grove to Jericho.  This was not an indication of lack of faith on his part; rather, it was a matter of military strategy.  They were not to spy out the whole land, as had been done years earlier, but only to look ahead one step at time.  The spies found shelter in the house of a harlot named Rahab.  It is clear from the narrative that Rahab had heard of the marvelous victories which the Lord had given to the Jewish people.  She concluded that their God must be the true God, and so she trusted in him, becoming a true convert.  She proved the reality of her faith protecting the spies, even thought it meant betraying her country.” (Believers Bible Commentary, William MacDonald).
 Hiding the spies on top of the roof and sending city soldiers on a good chase, this harlot, determined to know the God of the Israelites, sacrificed her life and the Jewish men for freedom.  When the Israelites came, marched around for seven days and the walls came tumbling down, one solitary, red, scarlet cord hung in the window of a home.  We know this cord represents the Blood of the Lamb such as was on Passover in Egypt and our own homes protected by Christ’ blood, but this one cord reminds me of a single life given for many (Joshua 2:18).  Christ gave his precious blood on the cross for all mankind, but Rahab was willing to sacrifice her own for God.  This “work” of faith has catapulted Rahab, a prostitute, to be listed among some of our great fathers of faith.  Among those listed in Hebrews 11 are Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, David, Samson and Samuel; Rahab is the only woman listed by name for her faith due her hospitality to God’s people besides Jochebed the mother of Moses.
 James encourages in his letter to have faith, but faith is complete by your works, for they are in harmony together.  He reminds those reading of Rahab who was considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction (James 2:22, 25) She was saved by her faith, for in Joshua 6:22-23, he commands the spies, “Go into the prostitute’s house and bring her out and all who belong to her, in accordance with your oath to her.’ So the men who had done the spying went in and brought out Rahab, her father and mother and brothers and all who belonged to her.  They brought out her entire family and put them in a place outside the camp of Israel.” If you are praying for you family, please do not give up.  God is faithful, merciful and forgiving.  He will not forget your prayers and faith in seeing your family saved through Christ Jesus. Rahab saved God’s family, the Lord responded in saving all of hers.
 There is nothing in your past that can not be forgiven.  Besides the apostasy, which is being saved by Christ, using the Holy Spirit and the Lord’s merciful grace for your benefit and the denouncing Jesus as false (2 Timothy 4:1-5), your sins, these acts of ungodliness and transgressions can be forgiven.  There is no place, no situation, no person, and no sin that Jesus can not lay his precious hand on you and completely deliver you from if you have a willing heart. 
If you have been saved by grace, as Rahab saved by God’s mercy, you are a new creation in Christ.  Rahab, changed and immersing herself in the Jewish culture, is listed in the lineage of God’s son Jesus of Nazareth (Matthew 1:5) Rahab is the mother of Boaz and the great, great, grandmother of King David!  Once accepting Christ into your heart, “our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should not longer be slaves to sin, because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.” (Romans 6:6-7).  We are alive to Christ for as we may have been slaves to sin, we have been set free from sin and have become slaves of righteousness (Romans 6:11, 17, 18).
 My sister in Christ, you are not Rahab anymore.  You have been redeemed by the Blood of the Lamb, transformed by the renewing of you mind, a changed person conforming no longer to this world (Romans 12:2). Now is the time for change.  Begin your journey removing the filthy rags of the world and dressing in Christ’s holy garments, renew your mind with daily scripture and immerse your self in a church alive to the Spirit, worship and giving thanks to God.  I believe he has called out of darkness, into the light for a purpose. As Rahab came out of her house and was place in safety, you come out of you darkness and God will place you in the shelter of the Most high and you will rest in the shadow of the Almighty (Psalm 91:1).
Whatever your old self, whatever the situation, give the Lord your life and go and tell!  Bring women to the kingdom with your testimony, these works of faith for the Lord will be rewarded in heaven and your heart will abound more and more in love each passing day. For the Lord Jesus of Nazareth said, “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again/ it is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”

Sister, let us pray and CONFESS the Word of God:

Abba Father, Jehovah-Tsidqenu, The Lord is our Righteousness,
            I believe I have been saved by the Blood of the Lamb.  I believe I am a new creation in Christ, the old has passed and the new is created (2 Corinthians 5).  I believe I am transformed by the renewing of my mind (Romans 12:2).  My testimony and heart resonate with Rahab for only you Lord know my sinful past, my heart’s desires and my motives.  My sin is great, but the Christ’s blood is more powerful redeeming from my slave to sin.  I repent of the old ways, attitudes, behaviors and thoughts.  I believe I you have a purpose and plan for me and what the enemy has tried to use for harm, you will use for good (Genesis 50:20).
            I pray to come out of the dark as Rahab, out of the tomb as Lazarus set free and able to use my works to go and tell.  I pray the gift and talents be used for your kingdom, my testimony draw others into your harvest, encouraging others Jesus saves.  I also pray for my family who does not know you.  May you use me as a continual light to them, flavored with salt and not ashamed hiding myself or beliefs from them (Matthew 5:13-16). I pray for a powerful prayer life, in direct communication with you, believing my family will heed the calling and come to the cross.
            I pray to immerse my self in your word, a church, in service and worship to you.  As Rahab engrossed and conformed no longer to the world, I too pray for the desire to know you and the power of your resurrection.  To read and study, to pray and worship, to persevere during challenging times, trials and tribulations, helping me to never backslide to my old patterns and habits. 
            May I be as one to give my life to you, withholding no area from you glorify.  May I too hand my red cord, the precious blood of Christ over my own home and family, giving me life for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  If I am the only one Christian, filled with the Spirit, help me to stand unashamed and boast only in the name of Jesus of Nazareth (Galatians 6:14). In the name of Jesus of Nazareth I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment