Thursday, March 13, 2014

Book 2 - Day 11 Jezebel



Romans 1:18-25 sets the foundation and gives us insight in to the mind of a depraved and evil woman. “The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.  For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.  Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God of images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles. 
Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their heart to sexual impurity for the degrading of the bodies with one another.  They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator- who is forever praised. Amen.” (Romans 1:18-25).
Mentioned in the Old Testament, Jezebel is one of the most evil women to walk this Earth.  Evil has a face.  Its primary purpose is to kill, steal and destroy (John 10:10). The woman killed, destroyed and stole from the Lord and his people.  Her pathetic and sad end may not be remembered as much as her murderous rampages.  But let us not forget, God has a plan.
Jezebel killed the Lord’s prophets, disgraced the Temple and built idols to Baal for worship and praise (1 Kings 16:31-33).  She was ruthless, cunning and manipulative.  Once when her husband Ahab threw himself into a temper-tantrum for the inability to purchase a vineyard from Naboth, sweet Jezebel threw a party.  She invited all the town’s people, gave Naboth the sit of honor, the prominent position at the table, then had two murderous men, “scoundrels”,  falsely accuse Naboth, stone him to death so Ahab could plant his vegetables in the vineyard (1 Kings 21).  Her depravity knew no bounds. 
I think what surprises me the most about these type f people is the complete disregard for human life, but also the audacity to think there is no accountability.  The prideful mindset that believes you can do anything you desire, including murder, to achieve fulfillment and never have to answer for the destruction in your wake is nothing short of mind boggling. There is no reasoning with these people.  There is no conversation that can turn the tide from evil to good.  Only the very breathe of God can do that.
We live in a world where men and woman, maybe not to the scale of Jezebel, but have the “Jezebel Spirit”.  These people stop at nothing to achieve their desires: slander, gossip, manipulate, use, abuse, threat and accuse others whom are innocent, but unfortunately hinder success. We all know of someone who has cheated, lied and manipulated their way to the top.  We’ve read of individuals who have “sold their soul” for fame and fortune, forsaking all others including their own dignity, living shameful lives broadcasted for all to see.  There are some who follow these depraved minds, willing to go down in flames with them, but there are also a remnant who will stand up for righteousness.  God told Elijah, “Yet I have reserved seven thousand in Israel – all whose knees have not bowed down to Baal and all whose mouths have not kissed him.” (1 Kings 19:18).
Evil will never win.  For a time or a season it may appear to gain the upper hand, but God will use all evil situations and turn them to good.  This Jezebel spirit was also mentioned in the book of Revelation.  To the church of Thyatire, Jesus of Nazareth accuses them of tolerating an ungodly woman, “Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificedl to idols.  I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling.  So I will cast her on a bed of suffering and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of their ways.  I will strike her children dead.  Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.  Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatire, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned the Satan’s so-called deep secrets (I will not impose any other burden on you): Only hold on to what you have until I come.” (Revelation 2:20-25).
My prayer is you are in a Christian church alive to the Holy Spirit, the reading of God’s Word and Truth.  Many are sheep in wolves clothing, tickling the ears of the congregation when what we actually need is meat, not milk! I do want to address one more issue before we pray.  If a wicked person repents, has that broken, contrite spirit God will not turn away, we as Christians should never turn them away either.  Let us never forget the Apostle Paul.
“I persecuted the followers of the Way to their death, arresting both men and women and throwing them into prison, as also the high priest and all the Council can testify.  I even obtained letters from them to their brothers in Damascus, and went there to bring these people as prisoners to Jerusalem to be punished.” (Acts 22:4-5)  This is the same Paul who wrote 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8, “Love is patient, and love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the Truth.  It always protects, always trust, always hopes, and always perseveres.  Love never fails.”
Yes, this is the same Paul, but with Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior.  Evil can be turned to Good.  What the enemy attempts and tries to destroy, God can use it for good (Genesis 50:20). I am thankful for Ananias’s obedience to the Lord, running to Paul and giving him a Word from the Lord (Acts 9:17-19).  I am thankful for Barnabas’s encouragement to Paul and standing beside him in truth (Acts 10:27).  Our arms should never too short to those who come to our church from living in the “World”.
 
Let us pray to the Living God and CONFESS the Word;

Father,
            The Bible says you will never reject a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart the Lord will not despise (Psalm 51:15).  Lord, I repent of my sins.  I admit I am a sinner, living in the world and following its desires and cravings (Ephesians 2:3).  I desire to know Truth, come to Christ, so I confess with my mouth and heart you are Lord (Romans 10:9).  I desire to change.  I desire to know you and the power of your resurrection.  Forgive me of my sins, as I start a new life, for I am a new creature in Christ, the old has passed and the new has come! (2 Corinthians 5:17). 
            I want to know this love written for in 1 Corinthians 13.  I desire to have a love that is patient and kind.  I never want to be rude, self-seeking, easily angered, holding on to bitterness, frustration and disappointment.  Your love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the Truth.  This love protects, trusts, hopes and perseveres and I desire this love. (1 Corinthians 13:4-8).
            Help me to open my arms to those who need Truth, those who are coming in to the church from the “world” and those who are repenting of their sins.  For I know and remember, we’ve all followed the ways of the world, were dead in our transgressions and sins (Ephesians 2:1)..  Help me to love them and see these new Christians the way you do, their gifts and talents and encouraging them along the way.
            I pray to be a living, breathing epistle for you and your kingdom.  Teach me your paths, show me your truths and guide me into all righteousness for your names sake (Psalm 25). I know you understand all temptations and I submit in all humility the capability of falling, backsliding or sinning.  But as David prayed when you exposed the sin in his heart, “Wash me clean and I will be whiter than snow, let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice!” (Psalm 51: 7-9). Thank you for your forgiveness and mercy.  In the name of Jesus of Nazareth I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment